Wednesday 13 February 2013

Pieces from Countries

Ever heard of Santos Cage Dolls?
I first saw one when I was reading this blog
See the cage doll on the table?

There are sooooo many Santos Cage Dolls on Pinterest.

I was so inspired by these beautiful dolls that I set out to make one myself.

As I was putting the doll together I realized that the pieces I gathered were from around the world.  Different countries we have visited put this doll together.

From Guam
I found this photo holder at the Salvation Army.
It will now serve as the "cage" of the Santos Cage Doll.



I drew out the pattern for the doll..........freehand.



From Germany
 The fabric came from the lining of a basket that I found in a thrift shop in Birkenfeld, Germany.
I love the texture of the fabric


 Paintng on this fabric was awesome.  I used acrylic paint.
I purchased the acrylic paint from the Creative Craft Center in Baumholder, Germany.






FROM HONG KONG
I used pearl beads that I picked up in Hong Kong to serve as buttons on the Santos Cage Doll.


From the Philippines
The tassel edging I bought in the Philippines in 2007 when we shopped there for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.


From Alaska (U.S.A)
In 2004 I visited my sister in Alaska and we went to garage/rummage sales and I picked up vintage buttons.
I needed two buttons to connect the arms to the body.




From Tacoma Washington (U.S.A.)
I picked up the embroidery thread from a Joann's in Tacoma Washington and this is what I used to attach the arms to the body with the buttons from Alaska.



From Korea
Santos Cage Dolls were once used as altars in homes in little towns that had no churches.  I want to use my Santos Cage Doll to display rosaries my husband picked up in Korea.  The rosaries came in these beautiful round trinket boxes.


So now let's take a look at my
Santos Cage Doll
Made........Compliments of
Pieces from Countries









Thank you so much for visiting.


Linking Pieces from Countries with:
MONDAY
You're Gonna Love It @ Kathe With an E
Mop It Up Monday @ I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Motivate Me Monday@ Keeping It Simple Crafts
Mod Mid Mix Monday @ Mod Vintage Life
Clever Chicks Blog Hop @ The Chicken Chick
Make It Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Pretty Things Party @ Twelve o Eight

TUESDAY
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time Interiors
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife
Take a Look Tuesday @ Sugarbee Crafts
You're Gonna Love It @ Kathe With an E
Transformed Tuesday @ PJH Designs One of a Kind
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time Interiors

WEDNESDAY
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy And Elephants
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Wow Me Wednesday @ Gingersnap Crafts
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday @ Primp Junktion
The Creative Spark @ Clean And Scentsible
What We Accomplished Wednesday @ Green Willow Pond


THURSDAY
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours
Time Traveled Thursday @ The Brambleberry Cottage
Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Inspiration Gallery @ Craftberry Bush
Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond The Picket Fence 

FRIDAY
Feathered Nest Frieday @ French Country Cottage
Be Insipired Friday @ Common Ground
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Flaunt It Friday @ Chic On a Shoestring Decorating
Hodgepodge Friday @ Its a Hodgepodge Life
Delicately Constructed @ Delicate Construction
Show & Tell Friday @ Romantic Home
Catch As Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life

SATURDAY
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Spotlight Saturday @ Classy Clutter
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party @ Life on Lakeshore Drive

SUNDAY
Sunday-Show-Off-Linky-Party@Twigg Studios

12 comments:

  1. What a fabulous Santos doll! I so love that not only did you make it yourself, you pulled all the items from different countries. The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking,"Is she going to put this on Etsy?" Don't blame you a bit for keeping it and cherishing it...it is so special.
    I do think you have a creation that would be very attractive to the public...me for one!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melinda - Thank you for your lovely comments. Gee.........I had to go back and count how many countries LOL. I counted 5 countries and one unincorporated territory of the United States (that would be Guam). I do have an Etsy shop where I sell my pug inspired art (Paddywak Pugs). And I do have plans to open one for Gallery Fifty Eight. My target is 4th quarter 2013 - we should be in Alaska by then.
      Hugs,
      Kay

      Delete
  2. This tutorial on making a Santos is great. I love that she is made from pieces from around the world. Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever! And great-looking as well. Following you now!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  4. woow......what a beauitful doll.....and lovley story too.....
    and do not miss....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kay,

    I would like to pass along to you the Leibster Award which honors new bloggers. You can get the details at The Refeathered Roost. Congrats and keep up the great work!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever and I love how all of the pieces will be a reminder of the places you have traveled. Must say, you are a world wide traveler, even Korea? I did not know that was the original use of the cage dolls. I have ran across quite a few in shops and they are very pricey. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Thanx for sharing at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique and fabulous piece, you are so creative!
    Your Santos doll is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have see similar dolls, but never knew they were called cage dolls. You created a wonderful "worldly" doll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is amazing! You did a fabulous job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. So thrilled to have you share. Hope you are having a great week. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very creative! Your doll turned out so pretty and I love how you shared where all your parts came from. You've done a lot of traveling! Thanks for linking up at Transformed Tuesday! Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete